Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Replacing the Engine Timing Belt?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member BlownAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    343
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the next time I remove the crank bolt, I'll make sure I can get it off before I drain the fluids and take the valve cover off.
    If I can't get it off, I'll let Acura remove and retorque it. They have a tool that fits in the large hex socket of the pulley that helps keep it from moving. I think the slight movement of the pulley, without the tool, is absorbing the impacts of the impact wrenches.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member carson19's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2000
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Regaring my air tool setup :

    1. 5hp compressor (40/90 psi)
    2. 27 gallon air capacity (the largest tank that would fit in my car)
    3. 500 lbs torque husky professional 1/2" impact gun
    4. 1/2" air hose + ( two 1/4" to 3/8" adapters)

    I am doing my timing belt this weekend. With my regular 3/8" air hose, the crank bolt won't bunge regardless of what I did. I switch over to my 1/2" hose, running the same pressure (maximum) and the crank bolt came off the first try. It makes a big difference.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member carson19's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2000
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As for replacing your O2 sensor, on my car my gas mileage used to average between 27 to 29 mpg. Lately it's dropped to below 24 mpg even with "mellow" driving. On street driving alone, I seen it go as low as 17 mpg. That's gas guzzling V8 territory. Although I don't see any repair codes show up, I suspect it's my O2 sensor that's getting lazy and thus running rich all the time. My GSR have 86k on it. Your case may be different.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member TDsTeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 1999
    Posts
    37
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Carson19 thanks again! I think that is the size of the compressor my friend has, Im not sure about the hose but I will find out tonight when I go home from work. Tell us any tips you find on making it easyer after this weekend. As for the O2 sensor I'm going to change it also what could it hurt I'm getting about the same gas mileage as you are now to.
    Thanks
    Tyler

  5. #15
    Inactive Member thx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 1999
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    blownaway: yes, acura makes a crankshaft pulley holder that holds the crank in place while you spin off the crank bolt with an impact wrench. anybody know the part no#? and price of this tool??

    carson19: thanks for sharing your airsetup and tips!--i'm looking at a Craftsman Pro 30 gal. tank (more volume=longer run time) and a 1/2" IR w/600 ft. lbs. in rev. or a 1/2" Chicago Pneumatic w/ 625 ft.lbs. in rev...if this dosen't break it...i don't know what will! so you recommend a 1/2" air hose?

    btw: about your poor gas mileage problem...have you replaced your fuel filter yet? or is any of your injectors leaking? (cushion rings tend to wear or become hardended after time)...just a couple of areas to check before replacing your O2 sensor...good luck.

    what air setup did you other guys use to remove the crankshaft bolt?

    thanks!


  6. #16
    Inactive Member BlownAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    343
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, the bigger air line & high pressure is the trick. The tank size and pump specs really don't come into play. You only need the pressure and air flow for a second.

    As I posted before, my first attempt with the impact wrench failed. mad I then directly plumbed the wrench to the tank with a bigger hose and no flow restrictive connectors. It popped right off. wink

  7. #17
    Inactive Member hooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 1999
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey guys, Make the tool for holding the crank pulley. It's cheap and easy. Measure the hole across the flats, go to a fastener (nut & bolt) warehouse and buy a nut that fits and have a pipe welded on to it. just make sure you leave enough of a "lip" around the outside of the nut to fit in the crank pulley. I think I spent about $5!! I made it 1 1/2 years ago, and it's one of my most valued tools.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member carson19's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2000
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the tip thx1138. I will look into my injector o-rings.

    More tips from the frontline.

    1. Get yourself a set of impact sockets, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm for regular use. These are the most common sizes for the integra. I started out with a set of cheap sockets and ended up stripping either the bolt itself (which is terrible after 10hrs working under the car) or the bolt would eat into the socket and round it off. The amount of torque that is required to loosen the bolts is huge. The impact sockets are made from harden steel and will lessen the chance of stripping. Also stay away from the 12 point sockets. They strip easily. Get the 6 point sockets. They cost $3.98 each at home depot. It's a solid investment.

    2. Get yourself a pipe for leverage. I bought a 3/4" x 24" pipe from home depot for $2.25. Once I put the pipe over my 3/8" socket wrench, any tough nut will be undone. The nuts will come off like butter. Comes in handy when you have to work at night and don't want the compressor to wake up the neighbours. Keep the peace.

    3. Use zip lock bags to manage the spare parts. While doing my timing belt, each component I removed, I would put the bolts, nuts, etc in it's own zip lock bag and label it. That way you will not get mixed up and have extra parts when you're done. It's better than relying on your memory.

    That's all for now, good luck !

    ------------------
    94 GSR JRSC 8 psi

  9. #19
    Inactive Member TDsTeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 31st, 1999
    Posts
    37
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hey guys how do I know if my O2 sensor is going bad? A new one cost $109 at AHMOTOR.com or I could get the one of ebay for $10 or $20 but How do I know if that one is better than mine?

    Tyler

  10. #20
    Inactive Member carson19's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2000
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If your O2 sensor is completely dead, the ECU will report a service code that points to a bad O2 sensor when the service connector is shorted.

    I won't trust getting a used O2 sensor, especially if you haven't tested it out first. The integra service manual has full instructions on O2 diagnostics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •